January 12, 2012 in Nutrition
Well, I went to good ‘ol Wal-Mart today. I have a love/hate relationship with that place.
I made a quick trip right before lunch.
Not a good idea.
I didn’t realize I was even hungry…..until I saw all the yummy food…..everywhere!
I’m happy to say I survived the war zone and made it out of there without any damage being done.
However, it made me realize how powerful HUNGER is!!
I can’t tell you how many thoughts went through my head AND how many random food items called my name!!
- I went down the chip/cookie aisle and everything looked so good. In fact, Keebler cookies looked heavenly and I NEVER even buy them OR eat them! They are not worth the calories….at all.
- I also saw all the yummy Valentine’s candy, but I just kept on walkin’.
- When I was in the checkout lane, of course my fav Peanut M&Ms looked divine.
- There was also some Nutella in the checkout lane (random!?) and it looked so awesome! I’VE NEVER EVEN TRIED NUTELLA! I’ve never tried it because I know I would love it….and I don’t need any more temptations!
As you can see, I had major problems.
It was tough.
You may laugh, but it WAS NOT funny! I was bugged by all the rationalizations that went through my head as well.
However, there was some good that came out of this little experience.
- I remembered that every time I resist temptations, I become stronger. Yay!
- I also reminded myself of all the reasons why I WANT to eat well and not fill my body with a bunch of Keebler/Nutella crap.
- It was also a powerful reminder to me that processed, sugary foods are JUST LIKE DRUGS and addictions to them are VERY real!
So with all that being said, I left Wally World feeling triumphant.
However, the minute we got home…..we had lunch!
I love leftovers for lunch! It makes it so easy to eat well! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE these crackers! I love Kashi and these crackers are the bomb. They are especially yummy dipped in cottage cheese! Sounds weird???? Well, it’s yummy.
In fact, I love these crackers so much that I had them again for a late afternoon snack…
Overall, I ate well today (amidst all the temptations!) and I went to a killer class at the gym tonight! Yay!
I know if I would have given in to any of those lame (and totally not worth it!) food cravings, I would have been so bugged at myself (and more likely to keep giving into cravings!)
So, I’m glad I can go to bed tonight and be satisfied with my day.
But I need to remember to never underestimate the power of hunger!
Now let’s have another good day TOMORROW!